Friday, October 16, 2015

THOR'S DAY'S OCT. 15 TALKBACK

TALKBACK from
for OCT. 15, 2015
. On Oct 15, 2015, at 11:37 AM, Frank J. Esposito wrote:
.
Michael is Growhowski and 
Craig is Judge.
.
Myron, hope you are doing well. Sorry I could not make the conference.
Frank
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Judy Johnson wrote:
.
I don't get the point, or what you want of us.
JUDY
.
JUDY, See LENAPE councils.
.
This week we are considering the hear-say conversation that North Dakota will no longer teach "Native America" history.

.
You should be aware of that hear-say because it was going around at the AAPS conference.

.
I chose to put a positive spin on the topic:

.
"North Dakota should teach "Native American history because the LENAPE and the  SCANDINAVIANS have a similar heritage."
.
[FREDA, the SHAWNEE is an living example of that common heritage.]
.
If you approve of the statement, tell your Judge, SUE, "YES."  When she collects a majority of "yes" votes, SUE will reply to the council email with an "YES" verdict.

.
By a process too tedious to explain here, the council identifier will appear in the YES side of the NORTH DAKOTA score board.

.
Perhaps the members of the AAPS council will take independent action to communicate the desires of the people, who pay taxes
.
On Oct 15, 20.15, at 11:53 AM, Judy Johnson wrote:
.
I would prefer not to have my email address hot-linked in any mailings.
.
Your email was not "hot-linked" to any mailings.  Your email was a "blind" copy to the "AAP" email address.  You would not have known who the others in the "blinds" were."  That is why I put them into your email.
.
I've removed the whole list from these mailings.
.
That is fine.  "The whole list" was in your email so you could know who was in the council with you.  I hope you kept a list somewhere.  I do not plan to send the whole lists again.
.Thanks,
Judy
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 2:10 PM, Ralph Rowlett wrote:
.
Dear Myron,
      I was about to submit a typescript for an article Vikings in pre-Columbian New World and was including the Algonquian Innu word for North America.   Now your promote in a timely manner the Lenape word for "America."   You provide the definition, but not the word.  What is the word itself?
Many thanks,
Ralph Rowlett
.
LENAPE LAND OLD NAME = KIKLEMANOKE
Meaning = The FOLKS of better people.
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 2:24 PM, Frode Omdahl wrote:
.
Hi Myron! I'm stuck far away from home, with only my cell phone to read emails on. Been working in field as archaeologist for some weeks, going home tomorrow to work a couple of days at the museum before going to my place in Denmark to prepare for the annual Lions-exhibition. Busy, busy... Will give you a proper answer later. Keep up the good work
Frode
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 2:50 PM, RuthAnn Purchase wrote:
Dearest Grandfather Myron, 
.
I am no judge; I am simply a fan of your work and a supporter of all things Lenape.
.
Please, accept my blessing on all you do for our common Ancestors.
.
Xeli Onkuntuwakan, 
~RuthAnn
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 5:00 PM, ijgall@comcast.net wrote:
.
Dear Myron,
A Lenape speaker should be the judge. I am not qualified! Your interpretation is all the info that I know other than Reider Sherman's vocabulary matches. I could not argue the case with scholars successfully.
Good luck! I know you are dedicated to this theory.
Ida Jan
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 5:08 PM, nipigon museum wrote:
.
I can try. It sounds interesting.
Betty
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 5:13 PM, William Davis wrote:
Dr. Paine
Thank you for the link ....Always look forward to them.
Last week I did my Native American Cultural presentation to 400, 4th graders and their teachers at the Shelby County Historical Society,
Pioneer Days, over a four-hour period. It was cut shorter due to fog. When I introduced the Lenape and showed tools they may have introduced to the Native Americans, they were all on the edge of their benches. It was a great time, as always. Teachers love it also.
Muchinippi Bill
.
On Oct 15, 2015, at 6:18 PM, Karl wrote:
Myron,
I can't open your document because I'm carrying my old (turns out, VERY old) laptop with XP.  While it's great for photos, it is crap for everything else.  I will have to provide feedback after I return on 24 October.
.
But, an interesting presentation at the AAPS conference provides an alternative perspective on the "Iroquois ate them" narrative.  Laurie Bonner Nickless believes the Chinese underZheng He also sailed up the Mississippi in the 1430s, introduced peach trees and decimated the population by introducing hemorrhagic plague (almost 100% fatality rate).  This is consistent with the "broken land" the Lenape describe, just a different cause.  Her arguments are very well supported and it's quite compelling.  I look forward to discussing this when I get back to the Bay Area!
.
Karl
.
We will have many discussions on the Zhang He boat hypothesis.  The LENAPE history has several stanzas that would fit the hypothesis.
.
The dates appear to be off by about 30 years, but they may be a WAG made from fuzzy, skimpy data.
.
Consider:


.
The Chinese figurine on the PALE INK book Jacket.
.
I think a second one was found in the Mississippi also. [But I do not know how to recover the info.]
.
The clipping of a newspaper article in Chicago about skeletons, which might have been ancient Chinese.
[I sent the clipping to Wayne.  I hope he can find it.]
.
The difficult to explain depopulation of Northeast Nebraska about the early 1400s.  It took centuries for the region to regain “normal” population levels.
.
The fields of Ghosts in the OHIO-INDIANA area.
.
Yazoo Mingo, the man who walked, or paddled, through America from coast to coast, heard about the legend of the Mound of the Little People near Vermillion, SD.
.
The legend was that anyone walking near the mound would die.
. .
YaZoo Mingo stood on the mound and did not die.  
.
He thought it was a clever story by the locals to keep travelers from standing on the mound and seeing the vast buffalo herds to the north.  He may have stood on the mound 3 to 4 centuries after the cause of death was frozen in the Dakota Winters.
.
We have a plateful of things to talk about.
Myron
.
On Oct 17, 2015, at 8:43 PM, Bill Eklund wrote:
.
Huh?
.
Hi Myron - Nice to hear from you.  What is this all about?

Bill Eklund
.
Bill,
.
Good to hear from you also.  I apologize for the brevity.
.
Maybe this week's Thor's Day's Thoughts will help explain what this is all about.
.
Basically, I have been finding myself using 5 to nine BCCs on many emails because the academic filters appear to filter out their version of "spam."
.
So, I have "appointed" 73 councils for my friendly contacts.  People in those councils might respond, as you did, to ask questions of give me advice.
.
This TALKBACK of this past week introduced the Zhang He boat and plauge hypothesis.  A lot of evidence fits into that hypothesis, so we should examine the hypothesis thoroughly.
.
The academic community chooses not to respond, so a new hypothesis like the Zhang He boat would be suppressed by omission.  This way over 500 people interested in ancient American history will know about the hypothesis.  I.e. the topic will not be omitted.
.
Please ask more specific questions.
.
Myron 









No comments:

Post a Comment